Halloween is coming close! Have you got any cool plan to celebrate on this most scary day of the year? Before getting ready for it, here are 16 interesting facts about Halloween that you should know:
1. Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas.
2. The first jack-o’-lanterns were actually made from turnips.
3. It’s is actually very rare for a full moon to occur on Halloween. Although, it’s predicted to occur on 10/31/2020.
4. October 30th is National Candy Corn Day.
5. The world’s largest pumpkin weighed in at 1,872 pounds.
6. It’s estimated that total Halloween spending could reach $8 billion in 2012.
7. According to legend, if you see a spider on Halloween, it’s actually the spirit of a loved one watching over you.
8. Ireland is believed to be the birthplace of Halloween.
9. In the UK white cats are thought to bring bad luck, not like black cats in the US.
10. The number one candy of choice is Snickers, followed by Reese’s, Kit-Kat’s and M&M’s.
11. Americans purchase over 20 million pounds of Candy Corn each year.
12. Thousands of people suffer from Samhainophobia which is an irrational fear of Halloween.
13. Have leftover candy? Save it! Hard candy lasts for a year, while chocolate can last up to two.
14. Halloween can give you diarrhea. Seriously. Consuming too much candy with fructose and sorbitol can give you rhea.
15. Many shelters don’t allow black cats to be adopted around Halloween for fear that they may be tortured or sacrificed.
16. In Alabama it’s illegal to dress-up as a priest.